Re: apt-get dist-upgrade

Robert Kerr wrote:
> I'm using apt-get dist-upgrade to upgrade to slink.  It gives me about 90
> MB to download.  I'd like to find a list of the files it needs and then
> download them at school, where my internet connection is much faster.  So,
> my question is: where does apt-get keep a list of the files it needs?

I wouldn't know actually, but there is a way to get them quite easily. Use
the command 'apt-get -s dist-upgrade' to get a list of packages apt is going
to install, for example:

  libglib1.1.13 libgimp1.1.1 libgtk1.1.13
The following packages have been kept back
  locales timezones libc6-dev libwww-perl libc6
15 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
Inst lilo
Inst nvi
Inst modutils
Inst ispell
Inst ibritish
Inst make
Inst autoconf
Inst debhelper
Inst debian-keyring
Inst fdutils
Inst libgimp1.1.1
Inst libglib1.1.13
Inst libgtk1.1.13
Inst gimp1.1
Inst icewm
Inst lesstifg
Inst raidtools
Inst vim
Conf lilo
[snip]

In this output, grep for ^Inst and then grep in the available file
(/var/lib/dpkg/available) for *packagename_* and pipe that output through
'grep frozen' (slink==frozen), Now you'll get a list of filenames in the
archive. And that's the list you need, I think.

HTH,
 -Remco