Sendmail config problem

I'm trying to set up sendmail on a server behind a firewall.  It can only
resolve DNS within the firewall.  I want it to deliver mail to addresses
within the firewall (all one domain) and pass on mail for the rest of the
world to a gateway which does have external DNS.

The problem is that while local delivery is fine, mail to the Internet
always bounces with the error "DSN: Host not found".  This makes sense, my
server has no external DNS, so I'm looking for a way to disable Sendmails'
use of DNS.  The docs suggest removing dns from /etc/nsswitch.conf but
this isn't an option as this would disable DNS for all services on that
system.  There is a FEATURE(nodns) but that according to the docs is a
no-op.

Then I read about mailertables.  This looks like it could do the trick
except it doesn't :-(  Here's what mine looks like.

localhost       local:localhost
.mycompany.com	procmail:localhost
.               relay:mail.mycompany.com

What went wrong?  Is this not the right way to achieve my objective?

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com>