Re: Modem freezup

ktb writes:
> Every once in a while my modem won't respond to "pon"  I have
> tried to see a pattern in the freezeup but haven't found one.
> I see the message says the modem is locked up by "pid 829" but I have no
> idea what that means.

It means that pppd, running with pid 829, has locked the serial port so
that nobody else can use it until it is finished.  Then it died for some
reason and left the port locked, or is still alive but hung.

As root, type 'killall pppd; rm /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0'

But first type 'ps -ax | grep pppd' to see if pppd has died or is hung
(neither should happen, of course).
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)