Re: Selective install using apt-method in dselect

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Joey Hess wrote:

> Kent West wrote:
> > Alternatively, could I temporarily mount /var.... on a different partition
> > that has more space free?
>
> Better: copy /var/cache/apt it to an empty directory on a partition with
> free space, remove /var/cache/apt, and symlink.

By "symlink", do you mean to make a filename "apt" in the original
location that is a symlink to the new location? Would that be:

ln -s /var/cache/apt /big_partition/free_space/apt

(Sorry for asking about the syntax; I'm fairly new at this stuff.)

> > My fstab doesn't reference /var, so I assume /var is a subdirectory of /,
> > since a "df /var" shows the same amount free as a "df /". If this is
> > indeed the case, why do so many people recommend a small partition (50 -
> > 100 MB or so) for / if dselect/apt expects to use that space for
> > downloads?
>
> _I'd_ never reccommend a small /var. If you're going to have a small root
> partition, you should consider splitting /var and possibly /tmp out into
> their own partitions.

Ahhh! Ya learn something new everyday.... I love this list! So really I
need to repartition now and reinstall before I go any further (this
is a new install, so I wouldn't be losing anything except a little more
bit of ignorance)? Or is there an easier way of moving /var and /tmp to an
existing bigger partition?

--
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu