Slink - xdm by default?

In my new (from scratch) slink installation, xdm starts by default on
boot up, while in previous Debian versions (including a slink upgrade
from hamm), text console mode was the default on boot up. Console mode
on boot is what I strongly prefer.

It would not be an issue except that the /etc/X11/config file where the
boot behavior could be toggled previously is not there, and manually
putting it there (with a "no-start-xdm" line included) does not help.

I realize xdm starts from the etc/rc2/S99xdm link to the /etc/init.d/xdm
script, but is there a more elegant way to disable xdm - like a new
configuration file somewhere? If there is, I haven't found it yet.

Thanks,
Tom