Re: netscape

Brian Morgan wrote:

> I've run into this before, but can't remember how to solve it.
> When I try to run netscape (downloaded from netscape's site - v4.5), I get
> the following error:
> "can't load library 'libXpm.so.4'"
> How can I fix this?
> I'm running slink, icewm, gnome.  Tried finding libXpm.so.4 using dselect in
> the frozen dist.  No luck.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Morgan

	What you've downloaded is the libc5 version of Netscape, but
you're system is using libc6.  Netscape requires some of the X
libs to, themselves, be compiled under libc5 for NS to work.  So,
there are libc5-built libs in the oldlibs section in dselect.
Specifically:  libc5, xlib6 and Xpm.
	A better solution is to get the libc6 version of NS from
ftp.netscape.com.  This won't require any older libs to be
installed.  On ftp.netscape.com, look for the 'development' tree
(instead of 'shipping') for the libc6 versions.

--
Ed C.