ircd network config

hi all
not very debian-related, but maybe someone can help me.
i need some help to configure a small irc network. where i work there's a
head office and two branch offices. they need to use irc and want to set up
a network like this

head office = irc hub
branch office1 = irc leaf1
branch office2 = irc leaf2

every office has to run its own ircd but they must be connected together. now
they're all logging into the head office ircd, but when a line drops, or
something happens, both local and remote connections are broken. so the new
set up should be at least more local connection friendly.

how can i do this? what lines should i add to my ircd config? i've tried
playing with Cs and Ns, but to no avail. can somebody share some examples?
pointers to docs are welcome

TIA