Re: Re: man missing ?

Quoting MallarJ@aol.com (MallarJ@aol.com):

> I found the documentation on getting PPP to run - but again, this info isn't
> available the first time you run dselect - that is when it's needed.  I
> haven't even tried it, so this may be a moot point, but when you run dselect
> the first time, select the ftp method - then what?  does it ask for a phone
> number?  how about whether or not to use chap?  or does it take this info from
> the pppconfig info you set up previously?  How about modem setups at this
> point?

I think it's intended that you work from section 7.21 of the installation
instructions. I haven't used these myself because I install from a direct
network connection for one most machines, and from an (un)mounted
partition where I have no access to the net.

If this were considered totally inadequate, it might be time for someone
to do a "dselect" on it; i.e. somebody wrote a deselect tutorial for
newbies to make it easier to use that first time.

Once ppp is configured, you would select ftp and type in the same options
as anybody else. The point about ppp is that application software like
ftp has no idea what sort of datalink layer is carrying the Internet
Protocol packets.

Cheers,