Re: man missing ?

hello, I don't think you can add optional disks to the boot disks.  I
maybe wrong but I just made a set of custom boot disks to include a speech
synthisizer into the kernel.  That was not the hard part, what was hard
was that I had to put a different default.map file into the base2_0.tgz
file. and do some other stuff with the root.bin  It is my understanding
that you use a program called floppy-split to split the base2_0.tgz into
the base disks.  You would be adding one more disk to the mix that
everyone would have to download because it was included in the base2_0.tgz
file and could not be skipped over during the base system installation
section.

I could give you a couple of alternatives to get a brief explanation for
programs that would be <command> --help and take a little time to
familiarize yourself with the directory structure of debian.  This really
helped me to understand the difference between /bin and /sbin user and
superuser binaries.  There are howto on the web at http://www.debian.org
and at ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux those two website are valuable
resource to find information on linux.  Look in /usr/doc/<package_name> ie
/usr/doc/ppp/FAQ.gz tells you how to connect to your isp.
I hope this helps you.
Paul
Let me know if you need specific information and i maybe able to help you.
If I can't some else on this list probably could.

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Kent West wrote:

At 11:46 AM 1/27/1999 -0500, Paul McDermott wrote:
>hello, I do sympathize with lack of knowledge at installation time. We
>were all there at one time or another. (including myself, I have had to
>reinstall more then one do to a lack of understanding of linux and the
>operating system.  I would hate to see the boot disks reach 10 disks but I
>can assume that we will be there in the near future.  One of the last
>steps of the installation is to use a number of different aptions to get
>more packages dselect, dpkg, apt-get and others that i am forgetting. It
>maybe prudent to search the debian home page to find out what to do after
>you got the base system up and running.

<snip>

Recently I downloaded the 5 or 6 floppy images and installed potato on a
separate drive on my Win95 (yech!) machine. Got the base installed just
fine, and then was offered the choices between Home machine/Scientific
Workstation/Network Administration Box/etc, etc. Continuing on would have
gotten me the man reader, but alas, my modem wouldn't work, so I couldn't
download any further packages. I can zcat the doc files, but because
there's garbage in the output of that (ctrl characters, etc), it's not easy
to read. As a result I've been rebooting into Win95, connecting to the web,
doing research, rebooting into Linux, making config changes, failing,
rebooting into Win95, etc etc. It would be a lot easier if I just had the
man reader to read the ppp/modem/etc documentation. Having an optional
install floppy with the man reader (not necessarily a bunch of
non-essential man PAGES) would have been well-worth it to me. Since the
floppy would presumable be optional, it wouldn't have to be downloaded by
those who feel comfortable with what they are doing.

An option install floppy with a man reader sounds like a good compromise to me.