System unusable

I just d/led and installed the latest xfree86 packages from
http://master.debian.org/~branden/xfree86 in an attempt to solve a problem
I had with X freezing my screen.  It appeared to be pretty stable and to
fix the problem, so I rebooted.  After I boot, I now get this message
every 5 seconds:

INIT: cannot fork, retry
Problem: block on freelist at 00000000 isn't free
Problem: block on freelist at 00000000 isn't free

I can log in, but cannot issue any commands, even to reboot or logout.
Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

								Rob

ratirh@lore.cs.purdue.edu : Role-Player, Babylon 5 fanatic      1998-99
Aka Khyron the Backstabber : ICQ# 2325055
Homepage: www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/ratirh

"Happiness comes in short spurts.  Don't be fooled."