Re: Dselect reinstalls kernel

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Ed Cogburn wrote:

 : Steven Feinstein wrote:

[ snip dselect de-selected my custom kernel ]

 : 	Dselect may have interpreted your kernel as being earlier/older
 : than the one on the CD, and thus did an 'update' automatically.
 : In any case, you can use the 'hold' feature (press '=' instead of
 : '-' or '+') of dselect to prevent dpkg from 'upgrading' your
 : custom kernel.

Actually, dselect had no way of knowing that you had upgraded your
kernel, and therefore believed the stock kernel was still present.

This is one of the reasons kernel-package was written.  I highly
recommend this package - it makes it nearly impossible to do something
wrong!

[ hint:  read the README in /usr/doc/kernel-package after you install
the package - it'll tell you what you need to know. ]

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD