Re: Does debian include KDE?

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, duon0035 wrote:

> Does debian linux include KDE?  If it doesn't, then does debian plan to
> include KDE? and When?  I read on Debian webpage that Debian 2.1 will be
> released in Jan '99.  It's mid-Jan now, how come I can't find Debian 2.1
> any where on-line?

The current QT and KDE licenses prevent Debian from distributing KDE due
to the requirements of the DFSG. However, the next major release of QT
will have a license that probably complies with the DFSG. At that time, it
is likely that KDE will be included in the distribution. Until then, some
folks have compiled a fairly complete set of KDE packages that will run
with debian slink (a.k.a. pre2.1, a.k.a. frozen). This leads us to the
clarification about 2.1. It has not been released, but it is quite stable
IMO and I've been running it for 4+ months. It is currently in "deep
freeze" pending the official release.

I don't remember the URL for the most recent KDE debs.

Thanks. Syrus.

--

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <syrus@ucsd.edu>    UCSD Physics Dept.