How to read Texinfo file format

A not 100% Debian question...

I've volunteered for a bit of GNU proofreading, and have been sent a file to
proof portions of, written in something called Texinfo format, or infotex --
I'm not clear on the exact difference.  If it helps, it begins with this
line:

\input texinfo

My problem is I can't figure out how to read this thing in it's prettied up
formatted form.  I can look at it in plain text, but for proofreading, this
is unsatisfactory, as one might miss some relevant formatting error.

I've tried to look around to find the answer, having been told that all I need
to is run "Texinfo".   After searching the more obvious places, (DejaNews,
a few man pages, etc), I can't seem to find such a program in a Debian distrib.
A cursory search using dselect fails to show it either; probably I'm scanning
for the wrong word or something.

I've also heard that emacs will view Texinfo files, but figuring out how to
get emacs to do this is not obvious to the novice.

None of which would be any problem, as whenever you look for things like this,
you learn other things, but I'm asked to read this by Thursday, and I'm not
sure I'll have figured it out by then.

So, can anyone tell how to read Texinfo files?