2.2 kernel okay, but bootpc fails

I just installed a 2.2.0 linux kernel, and everything works except
bootpc, which is used to give me an IP at startup.  The boot process
freezes when bootpc tries to startup, but dies with the message "no
response from BOOTPC server" (or something to that effect).  However,
I booted with my old (2.0.36) kernel, and bootpc works fine.

I checked, and my ethernet card is loaded okay, and before bootpc
tries to do anything.

Any offhand hints, or do I need to give more info?

Thanks!
Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@uiuc.edu
"They're always havin' a good time down on the bayou,