Re: What owns a piece of postgresql...

Chris Frost wrote:

  >What package own /usr/lib/postgresql/dumpall/6.3/psql, libpq.so.1 and
  >libpq.so.2? Reason being, I have the posgresql from hamm and am trying to
  >upgrade to the version in potato (which has python support) and to dump my
  >databases I need these files.

Postgresql captures these files from the previous version while it is
upgrading.  They are deleted when postgresql is removed.  The files do
not `belong' to any package, in that they are not included in any package.

The reason for this is that a new postgresql may have a database format
incompatible with that of the previous version.  In order to do an
automatic upgrade, the preinstall copies these files from their
standard locations in the installed packages, so that they will still
be available when the new package is installed if it should need to do
a database dump (using the old format) in order to reload it in the
new format.

If the files you need no longer exist on your system, you should reinstall
the old postgresql and libpgsql (versions 6.3.2-16, if your database
version was 6.3) and then load 6.4.2-3, which, as far as I can tell,
handles things correctly.

You should also read /usr/doc/postgresql/README.Debian.migration[.gz].

     "Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me
      from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions; and
      my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only,
      have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight..."
                                   Psalms 51:2-4