Re: man missing ?

Your new, to these boot disks, I remember when there was only five disks.
Now there is seven not including the boot disk you made.  the man-db would
fit on a floppy, but what language are you going to put on it english?
what about everyone else. how hard is it to get the man-db file and the
manpages of your choice.  I agree that is an important package but not
essential to get linux up and running.
Paul

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 MallarJ@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 1/26/99 9:55:07 AM Central Standard Time,
paul@experimental.braille.uwo.ca writes:

> hello, very simple.  Man-db is not necessary to run linux. it is nice to
>  have but if you don't have man linux can still run.  the other reason why
>  man is not included in the base distribution is the space issue.

I see that point, but....

* How big is it, really, especially tarred and gzipped.  I can't imagine one
more boot disk is that big of an issue.  If it's more than one disk, maybe a
subset of the manpages is warranted that CAN be included.

* Being that man is the basic help system of Linux, it's too important to NOT
include in the boot disks.  ESPECIALLY for new users.

* Man may not be required, but everyone on this list constantly points to man
pages.  The reference manuals constantly point to man pages.  It's totally
frustrating to be told to read the man pages, but you don't have them, and
can't figure out how to get them because you don't have the man pages.

Jay