num lock in X

    I posted a while back about getting my num lock to default on while
in X.  Someone wrote back that setleds worked for console and xset
worked for X consoles.  I have the num lock working in console but not
in X yet.  At the command line when I try, ~$ xset led on  no led lights
come on.  It makes it so I can move the cursor all directions and if I
push "Num Lock" my Scroll Lock light comes on and won't go off until I
use ~$ xset led off   and then hit the "scroll Lock" key.  I have read
the man page for xset and scoured the Debian user's archives for xset,
num lock etc.  I've looked at howto's and newsgroups and can't figure
this out.  I read that xset is the way to go and then another person
says that xset only turns the lights on and doesn't actually turn the
num lock on.  I found a couple of lines in the /etc/X11/config file
about xset numbers and letting the server take care of the number lock.
I uncommented both of these lines and it had no effect.  I don't know
what else I can do.  Is this a bug or something?  Number lock works fine
in windows and as I said when I am at a regular console.
Help.
Thanks,
Kent