Re: vfat init_module message

john@floor4.xs4all.nl wrote:

> [begin boot messages]
>
> Parallelizing fsck version 1.10 (24-Apr-97)
> e2fsck 1.10, 24-Apr-97 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
> /dev/hda2: clean, 29143/526336 files, 542724/2104515 blocks
> 10:52:11 david Exp $
> vfat /lib/modules/2.0.34/fs/vfat.o: init_module: Device or resource
> busy
> lp lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)
>
> [end]
>
> Why mentioning that the resource is busy? I don't have a cd in the
> cdrom. Why is it loading the cdrom module anyway? I have it mentioned
> in '/etc/fstab' to enable 'mount /cdrom'.

I may be able to help you with a couple of things; did you rename your
old modules directory (in /lib/modules) from '2.0.34' to something else
before you compiled? If you didn't, it doesn't overwrite the old modules
(I think), and they are inconsistent with the new kernel. Best to do
this
and delete the old module directory afterwards. This is probably the
origin of the 'device or resource busy' message, as far as I can
remember.

With the other, the file '/etc/modules' determines which modules will be
loaded on boot. If you just have the one line in there with "auto" on
it, kerneld will do things for you automatically if you compiled in
support for it. As it is, "cdrom" is probably one of the entries....

Take all this with a grain of salt, because I'm relatively new to Linux;
but I did this last week and encountered these problems then :) (Of
course,
I'm getting a few annoying messages on booting 2.2.0-pre9 now that I'm
not sure how to fix.... :)

ali.