Problem creating partitions

I am new to Linux and am trying to install the Debian distribution on a 486DX2-66.  The hard drives are blank (no partitions...I erased the old partitions using fdisk).  When I boot using the rescue disk, I get stuck on the step that sets up a swap partition.  What happens is this:

At the installation main menu, I get the prompt to partition a hard disk for the Linux swap.
I select /dev/hda (I have also tried /dev/hdb without any better success).
The message "The installation program is determining the current state of your system and the next installation step that should be performed" is displayed (This message pops by too quickly to read.  It took me 5 or 6 tries to get the whole string).
The system then returns to the installation main menu and tells me (again) that the next step is to partition a hard disk for the Linux swap.

I'm caught in an endless loop.

Here is some of the info on my system which may be relevant:

hda: 1240cyl 16head 63sect 610MB
hdb: 1049cyl 16head 63sect 516MB
The system bios doesn't have an option for LBA, but I have a VESA controller card with a translation bios that does (Promise EIDE2300).  (I have also tried a plain-jane ISA controller card without any different results).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael D. Cencula
mcencula@columbus.rr.com