No Password for Root

     After the potato surprise in unstable (oops--I should have
watched more closely), I tried to downgrade to slink again.  The
slink base images would not fit on 1.44MB disks, so the hamm
base floppy images were used.

     The base images were installed over the existing file system.
Then the system would not accept any new root password--no matter
how complex the passwords or how many I tried.

     The present situation is that the system is running slink
(frozen), and logins to root can be made without a password while all
other users require passwords.  I'm stalling remote users (volunteer
projects) until this situation is remedied.

     Is there any way to make this a multi-user system again without
wiping the drives and starting over?  Help!  <g>

Art