Re: Telnet and Xprograms

Gregory Green wrote:
> > > I have tried usining vt100, vt102, vt220 and I cannot figure out how
> > > to export X programs, such as xterm, to my telnet session.  I export
> > > my and I still cannot connect.  I get the following error:
> > > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > > /usr/X11R6/bin/xhost:  unable to open display "xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:0.0"
> > >
> > > What do I have to set?
> >
> > You need to run an X-server on the computer you're telnet'ing from. And
> > you need to set the DISPLAY environment variable to the correct
> > X-server, which usually is "xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:0".
> >
> > On the machine you run the X-server, you need to give access to the host
> > you're telnet'ing into, with the command "xhost +yyy.yyy.yyy.yy".
> I have been doing just what you suggested but I get the errors anyway. I
> get the same error when I run xhost.  I am telneting in to my Debian box
> running X, from a PC running Windblows using the procomm 32 telnet
> program.  Is this a server problem or do not have the telnet session set
> up properly?

You need to run an X-server on that PC running Windows. It doesn't matter if
there is one running on your Debian box in this case. I don't know if
procomm32 provides an X-server, but I assume not. Try the one that comes
with Exceed (commercial) or X-Win32 (commercial too, but you can download a
trial version from Tucows).

HTH,
 -Remco