Re: X manager installation changes /dev/mouse from psaux to ttyS0

Oliver Elphick wrote:
> BOHICA wrote:
>  >I tried re-symlinking /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux
>  >BOHICA:/dev$ rm mouse
>  >BOHICA:/dev$ ln -s /dev/mouse /dev/psaux
>  >but for some reason this causes /dev/psaux to link to /dev/ttyS0.
>
> You got the command back-to-front.
>
>  >So now I have: /dev/mouse => /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/psaux => /dev/ttyS0
>  >
>  >Can anyone help me resolve this?  I am quite out of my depth here (not
>  >that I was too deep to begin with).
>
> As superuser, do:
>
>   ln -sf /dev/psaux /dev/mouse

It seems that the device node has been replaced by a symlink.  Your
suggestion will not help much:

  mouse -> psaux -> ttyS0

To fix this, do ("#" means do as root):

# cd /dev
# rm psaux
# ./MAKEDEV misc
# ln -sf psaux mouse

The MAKEDEV script will recreate the /dev/psaux device node for you.

>   ln -sf /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem

Actually,

# ln -sf ttyS0 /dev/modem

will suffice.  Just remember that if you have multiple programs that need
to access the modem (e.g. pppd, mgetty, minicom, xringd) they must all
use the same device name, ie. they all use /dev/modem or they all use
/dev/ttyS0.  Otherwise, locking of the device will not work properly.

HTH.
--
       /'"`\  zzzZ  | My PGP Public Key is available at:
      ( - - )       | <http://home1.inet.tele.dk/renehl/>