Re: xdm

Brian Morgan wrote:

>>> There is no /etc/X11/config file on my machine.  Is something
>>> wrong?  I'm running slink.
>>
>> Hmm, I don't have my machine handy so I can't check.  Could be
>> called "Config" or "X11Config" or something else...
>>
>> You can try to grep for it:
>>
>>   grep start-xdm /etc/X11/*
>>
>> That should list all of the files that contain the text "start-xdm"
>> in that directory.
>
> nothing there. thanks for the time you've taken sofar.  There is an
> XF86Config file, but I don't think that's right.  I've got the
> /etc/X11/config file on another machine running hamm here.  It just
> doesn't seem to be on my new slink laptop.

I don't think that the file has changed/moved in slink, though I
admit I'm not running it.  I'm redirecting this back to the list
so someone can correct me if I am wrong.

(The file XF86Config is your X-Windows configuration file, it was
created when you ran "xf86config" or "XF86Setup".  It doesn't contain
any info regarding xdm.)

Did you upgrade from hamm -> slink?  If so, then your problem might
be a result of a splitting in the xbase package between hamm and
slink.  (That is, the files in the "xbase" package were divided
among a lot of new packages.)  The developers are working on a "fake"
xbase package that will automatically refer to the new packages, but
that was only added (if it has even been added yet) recently, so
you might not have gotten everything you needed when you upgraded.

If this is the case, you can try installing the "xdm" package using apt-get.
You probably would want to install "xbase" if it does
exist in slink yet.

(It does seem, though, that you'd be having other problems with X as
well if this really was your problem.  Does everything else work ok?)

Another thing you can do is modify /etc/init.d/xdm.  Just add
"exit 0" near the top of the file, this will trick Debian into
thinking it really did start xdm but actually didn't.  (Debian
runs "/etc/init.d/xdm start" during bootup.)

Good luck!

Kirk