RE: DeskJet 870

  I have a Canon 4200 setup on my linux box and print to it from win98.
The shared printer doesn't have any local filters on it and the win98
box uses the driver for the printer.  Works just fine (and all the
setting , ie color et al).  You might want to try just setting the samba
shared printer with no filters and the win box with the correct driver.
Either that or see if you can convince win to just print with out
formating the text for the printer and let the linux box deal with it.

--Dano