Re: Learning more/Linux programming books

Andreas Sliwka wrote:

> Steve Lamb wrote:
> >
> >     I don't know, I think if there were a language to start newbies out on,
> > it is perl.  Don't have to worry about many of the things that other
> > languages force upon you yet gives you a good gounding in how those other
> > languages work.
>
> Heaven, no!
>
> I think its quite a sinn to give perl to a newbie, perl corrupts. I use
> Perl since two years and I quite like it, but only because I can choose
> to use either imperative or oop thinking in perl and I dont have to
> every variable.
>
> And thats the reason why a newbie should start with a a structured
> language like java (oop), pascal (imperative) or scheme
> (functional/lists oriented), so she/he learns to order hers/his thoughts
> and get a habit of problem solving. Perl gives you every opportunity to
> everything in one or two or in any other way, and I don't think that
> this is a good start in programming ...
>
> soryy, my 2 euros

  May I add my 2 euros as well, though I didn't read everything in this
discussion? I think that OO analysis and design is fundamental for
mastering OO programming. My prefered refernces are Meyer, Booch and
Raumbaugh (OMT). I think I'd better hide under the table to avoid the
flames :-).

  Mamoun

--
Mamoun ALISSALI
LIUM                           Tel: (33-2) -02-43 83 38 47