Re: what cd-writer ?

> On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 04:57:08PM -0500, Odin wrote:

<snipped for obfuscation>

> Can you recommend an inexpensive PCI SCSI card to go with a Yamaha? Right
> now, I have two ATAPI hard drives and an ATAPI DVD drive connected to a
> motherboard IDE controller. I was planning on purchasing a HP ATAPI
> drive, but after hearing about several bad experiences with ATAPI
> drives, I'm interested in a SCSI-based external one.

Well, I can't in good conscience reccommend anything but an adaptec.  I've
heard (but not experienced) that a zip-plus will erase data on a scsi hdd
when not connected to an adaptec.  There are other reasons, though, like
support, speed, _very_ nice bios, etc.  You'll pay for the niceness, but
in my opinion, well worth it.  If you're planning on just using your CD-R
on your SCSI chain, then you don't need Ultra Wide or even SCSI-3, just
get yourself a good SCSI-2 (you don't even need that, but room to expand
is good, and good luck finding a Narrow SCSI-1 anymore.)  If you're not
buying for a corporation, my suggestion would be to watch the online
auctions, sometimes they have adaptec cards.

-Dan