boot failure

Hi all,

I happily installed Debian 2.0 on my i586/133 yesterday. After rebooting and logging
in everything worked fine until I wanted to start the xserver, what failed because I
missed to install it. During the following setup of the xserver I lost my normal
screen and the fonts reverted to a cryptic unreadable mess. I couldn't restore a
normal human readable screen so I shut down the system with "shutdown -h" what
happened without any problems. But then it stopped the booting process after reading
the md driver and doesn't move any further. Even rebooting from boot-floppy or cdrom
nor with the rescue disk changes the situation: grinding halt after md driver and a
merrily blinking cursor which doesn't answer the keyboard (of course, this dirver
hasn/t been loaded yet..).
Interestingly RedHat5.0b  installed and booted without any problems at all after
that.Trying to reinstall Debian failed with the same boot problem.

Anyone an idea. Any suggestion is very welcome and will promptly be tested.

Cheers
thomas