Re: Windows95 and Linux Installation

> Hello, please help

Hi, ok

> My computer has been setup with Windows 95 for a couple of years now
> and I am very familiar with it. It has one 1.7GB IDE hard drive, all
> as one partition. I wanted to setup Debian Linux on my machine without
> having to repartition my harddrive and go through all that stuff
> again, so I added a 814MB harddrive to my system as the slave. I
> downloaded the Debian Linux install files to my Win95 drive and put
> them in a directory called C:\Linux. I ran the install.bat and went
> through the first few steps of the install, Keyboard setup,etc. Then
> partitioned the second(814MB) physical drive in my harddrive like this:

> /dev/hdb1 type 83 Linux Swap 96MB  Logical
> /dev/hdb5 type 82 Linux      718MB Primary   boot

> my first question is: is this correct?

Overall yes. But you might want to split that /hdb5 into 2-3 partitions,
like 100M / and rest for /usr

> When I get to the step Install Kernel and Modules, I can't find the
> original Win95 harddrive with the Linux files on it to continue. Do I
> need to make a DOS partition on the 814MB harddrive and copy the
> C:\Linux directory to that? or do I need to make the 814MB hard the
> master disk?

Its all in accessing the partitions.
The original disk you have your files on, Windows disk, is /dev/hda
And all your files are on some partition there, my guess is
/dev/hda1
You have to tell the installation script where to look for those files,
and I think it asks you.

> I guess the overall question I have is, Is it possible to add a drive
> to an existing Win95 system and install Linux on the new drive without
> erasing the Win95 drive? I would like to setup a dual boot - LILO
> right? I've read all the other messages on that as well, and it
> doesn't seem too hard, once i get the rest set up.

Adding another HD works perfectly....Windows is not that screwed up.
You don't have to do anything to Win95 partition at all, either.
Lilo is easy to set up, it's in the documents, or just email here to the
list with your cfdisk data for both drives ( partitions and what is
mounted on them) and we can help you out.
But try to do it yourself first.
Andrew

Never include a comment that will help | Andrew Ivanov
someone else understand your code.     | c680789@showme.missouri.edu
If they understand it, they don't      | ICQ: 12402354
need you.                              |