ATAPI CDROM -- Aargh! Newbie problems

I've had some problems with cdroms too, but different.  I have a cdrom
made by Panasonic for IBM that is labeled as an 8X atapi.  When it was
connected as a master on a paddle card (aux ide card strapped as ide
#2) the bios saw it correctly, but linux thought it was a tape drive!
When strapped as a slave on the same interface as the hard disk it
worked ok.  With the same paddle card in a different computer it also
worked as a master.  Your mother board should have two ide interfaces.
 Try the cdrom as a master on the second (/dev/hdc).  Try it as a
slave on the second with no master (/dev/hdd) (hey this has been known
to work with cd rom drives!)  I suspect that some cd rom drives that
claim to be atapi compliant are not fully so, and the MS driver is
aware of the pitfalls, while the linux driver only works 'by the
book'.  With 20X cd roms now selling for $20 or so (after rebate) from
compusa maybe a way out would be to buy a new, slowest one you can
find, cdrom.

==
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze