Re: Help with Smail/Fetchmail/Mutt!!!

On Thu Jan 21, 1999 at 01:25:18PM +0000, J.L.Gomez Dans wrote:
> Hi!
>     After some tinkering about, my university has duly informed me
> that no mail will be delivered from outside our campus by smtp, that
> I need to fetch it from a POP server.
>
>     As this goes, I'd like to configure everything so that my e-mail
> goes out with nice headers, and appears to be sent through the POP
> server. I know loads of people have that configuration, and I was
> just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction!
>
>     Cheers!
>     Jose

OK here is how I do it.

First Smail, change /etc/smail/config so the relevent part looks like this

visible_name=esc.azlan.co.uk
more_hostnames=localhost
-domains
hostnames=dasterdly.esc.azlan.co.uk

The first line gives the domain name of your univecity and the fourth is
your machine name. This will set all outgoing smtp mail so it appears to be
from the mail server defined by the mx record in the DNS of your domain.

Now config fetchmail using the .fetchmailrc in your home directory thus

# Configuration created Mon Aug  3 13:48:10 1998 by fetchmailconf
# set postmaster "pcolbeck"
poll mail.esc.azlan.co.uk with proto POP3
       user "username-at-pop3" there with password "password" is pcolbeck here

Finally you can tweek mutts config (.muttrc) thus

my_hdr From: pat.colbeck@esc.azlan.co.uk (Patrick Colbeck)

This will get mutt to make the from address anything you want.

Hope this helps

Pat