RE: Learning more/Linux programming books

>> a) It's closer to the natural language than C and, of course, C++, and
all
>> of us think in our own natural language (english, spanish, french,
german,
>> etc...) and this is the first language we use when we develope a program.
>
>This can also be a disadvantage, because programming _is_ much unlike
>natural language.

Yes, natural language is quite far from the code of a programm but the first
algorithms that one must develope for a programm are much like cooking
recipes in natural language. Is there someone out there thinking in C or
Pascal?

>organization than C or Pascal. Procedural programming is more structured
>than BASIC, but OO programming is much more structured than procedural
>programming.

Pascal itself is an OOP language, in a way. Any pascal unit is almost and
object. But if you want learning OOP just get a Pascal package with objects
like Borland Pascal 7.0 for DOS. To declare an object in Pascal you must use
the reserved word 'OBJECT'; more clear water.

>> Learn C is not necessary the way to understand linux. To understand linux
>> you must know how to programm devices like controllers, video cards,
sound
>> cards, etc..., and programm devices is something that you can do with
Pascal
>> also.
>
>This I agree with. However, reading C code written by experts requries some
>understanding of C on its own.
>
>You can start with any language. For a complete beginner, I would advocate
>Scheme. Even if you don't want to do big projects in Scheme, you can start
>very fast. A good book on programming (using Scheme) is Structure and
>Interpretation of Computer Programs, Abelson/Sussman.

I can't say anything about Scheme because I don't know it. I'll put an eye
on it and then I'll tell you what I think.

>Marcus
>

>--
>"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."        Debian GNU/Linux        finger
brinkmd@
>Marcus Brinkmann                   http://www.debian.org
master.debian.org
>Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de                        for public  PGP
Key
>http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Marcus.Brinkmann/       PGP Key ID
36E7CD09

Antonio A. Rivas    aeypil@teleline.es
        STARTEG Project - Oviedo
-----
'Even God discuss with the devil on the details'

-----