Re: Moving the filesystem

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 12:12:15 -0600 (EST), Steve Beitzel wrote:

>	I recently bought a SCSI Hard Drive (thanks much to all who gave
>me recommendations -- I'm glad I didn't waste the $$ on a U2W), and I was
>wondering the best way to go about moving my entire filesystem to the new
>drive.  I have my whole filesystem on one partition, /dev/hda1.

This is relatively simple.

- Partition the new hard drive (fdisk or cfdisk),
- make the filesystems ("mkfs -t ext2" AKA "mke2fs") on your new hard drive,
- mount your new root filesystem to /newdisk,
- then "cp -ax / /newdisk".
- After that, edit /newdisk/etc/lilo.conf to reflect the future position of
LILO and your root filesystem,
- edit /newdisk/etc/fstab to also reflect your future root filesystem,
- invoke LILO using the NEW config file, and you should be done.

You might have to include a LILO line to tell LILO the correct sequence of your
hard drive (as the bios sees it), like follows:

  disk=/dev/sda
    bios=0x80

Bios device code "0x80" means first hard drive (i.e. the one you boot from,)
0x81 means second one, 82 means third one, etc.

Good luck.

--
Ralf G. R. Bergs * Welkenrather Str. 100/102 * 52074 Aachen * Germany
+49-241-876892, +49-241-877776 (fax) * rabe@rwth-aachen.de  * PGP ok!