Re: Debian goes big business?

<<I wouldn't mind it if everyone disagreed with what I'm saying. But it
seems as if no one even understands what I'm saying. No one would be
taking home any profit in the system I'm talking about. The core
developers (the ones who currently control Debian) would be a kind of
board of directors. Developers would work for Debian instead of doing it
in their free time. Bottom line: Debian *will* remain developer
controlled.>>

I *do* understand what you're saying, but I disagree. "If it ain't broke,
don't fix it...." What, in your view, is "broke" about the Debian
development model?

I like the proposal of a Debian User's Association (Mark Phillips'
proposal). But to really "go after the market", it takes a for-profit
business. Let them eat the reward of their efforts. It won't hurt Debian
to have one or several such businesses trying to take Debian out to the
world. And I really don't think that such a business will ever get
"control" of Debian -- at worst it'll contribute some packages to the
distribution.

I know that I'm overlooking the desire for the Debian developers to make
a living at it -- that seems to be one of the goals being expressed (but
see last sentence of prev. para.). The main goal that I am focusing on is
getting Debian out into the market and into the realm of "acceptability".
I think the development model is working just fine. It's the
marketing/distribution/profession&corporate support that needs a boost.
So that's what I think we should focus on. -- What is the best way to get
Debian out to the world?

shawn_harrison@tyndale.com