lan card compatibility

  a friend asked me to install linux on his computer w/ a D-Link
DFE-530TX PCI LAN Card and it seems like the kernel (hamm 2.0) won't
recognize it.
  i lookep up the card in the ethernet howto and it was mentioned there
that its supported by linux.  are there any special tricks to this so
that linux will recognize that lan card and may i also ask what are they
?  (my only experience is w/ a 3com 3c509)
  thanks a lot and hope someone can help me (whether what to do to make
my linux recognize that lan card or to ditch that piece of hardware).
chad

INXS: pls cc all replies to me as this email i am using is not currently
subscribed to the list