Re: Debian goes big business? [was: Re: Suggestion for RedHat (was: RH vs Debian)]

"Eric Gillespie, Jr." wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Christian Lavoie wrote:
>
> > I starting to think this whole mess started on a word understanding
> > problem. I wouldn't name such an organization a 'corporation', =P
> >

> Since "corporation" is the legal term for the type of entity I am
> describing, I don't see what's wrong with calling it a democratic
> corporation.

The problem is this is neither.  Debian isn't a Democracy, its a
Republic. :)  Otherwise, all you'd need is enough ignorant people voting
for a stupid idea and the project would be ruined.

In a _real_ Republic, you put the smart people to work making a minimal
set of rules that we all follow.

Corporations are owned by shareholders.  It is a democracy.  How do you
trade shares, money?  Who gets how many?  What happens when BillyG owns
50.1%, or pick your favorite aspiring businessman?

L8r -- Greg.
--
What do you want to spend today?
Debian GNU/Linux  (Free for an UNLIMITED time)