emergency disk/mounting files

I need to change an X config file I screwed up so I can get into Linux.
I'm using my boot disk to get to root, so I can bypass X, so I can edit
the file.  This is the message and prompt I get when booting from the
floppy:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) read only.
sh: /usr/bin/check -sendfile: No such file or directory
/#

I then use the command umount like so:
/# umount /

I then tried mounting like so:
/# mount /dev/hdb2 / -rw

 and got this:
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

So I tried:
/# mount  ext2 /dev/hdb2 / -rw

and got:
Usage: mount [-hv]
            mount -a ...........and so on.

I also tried:
/# mount -rw /dev/hdb2 /
and got the same readout as the example before:
Usage......

I am trying to use joe to edit  /etc/X11/XF86Config  so I can return my
system to normal.  I am very new to Linux so feel free to spell it out
for the dummy.
Thanks,
Kent