Re: SCSI Hard Drive Questions

On 18 Jan 99 23:15:15 GMT, dror@earthlink.net (Oz Dror) wrote:

> I have two systems one with 2940UW and seagate UW drive pentium 200MMX 128MB RAM
>
> the second with aic7890 (which is like the 2940u2w) and a seagate u2w drive
> pentium-II 400Mhz 256 MB ram
>

> the second system clearly runs faster. disc access is faster, it boots faster
> it takes about 4 minutes to compile the kernel vs 8 minutes on the old system
>
> Disc access in the second system is 80M/sec v.s. 40M/sec.
>
>  I am sure that the increase in performance is in part due to the u2w.

Going from an 8 minute kernel compile to 4 minutes, considering the
difference in CPU speed on the two systems, is exactly what one would
expect anyway, so one can't help but feel that u2w hasn't done much
for you at all.

It's pointless spending much extra money for SCSI, let alone Ultra2
Wide SCSI, on a single-user desktop machine.  SCSI becomes very useful
when you've got more than half-a-dozen users or a busy website running
on the machine, but emacs and The Gimp aren't going to get any faster.

Rob Wildersipn
--
"But I need it to crash once every few days -
reboots are the only chance I get to sleep..."