Sound systems: OSS/ALSA/?

I've been looking at OSS, OSS/Lite and ALSA and have become
thoroughly confused.

Question One:  General knowledge question - where do these things fit
into the Linux system?  Are they patches to the kernel source, or
what?  Daemons?  Has Debian packaged them and if so where?

I have an SB16 sound card, and it's currently working OK - I compiled
kernel support in and so on.

But I want to see if I can get it to take two input channels and
give one priority over another.  ie like this:

Input one - generic mp3s being played.
Inpet two - festival.

IF input 2 is active, then input one can either be paused, muted or
stopped or something until it's finished.

Am I making sense?  If so, are these sound thingies something relavent,
or not?  Would they help?

bekj

--
: --Hacker-Neophile-Eclectic-Geek-Grrl-Queer-Disabled-Boychick--
: gossamer@tertius.net.au   http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/