Re: Emergency use of boot-rescue disk.

per_adua32 <ulla.russell@pp.inet.fi> writes:

> %    4. Edit the second field, which is the encrypted password, of
> %       /etc/passwd to show nothing. It would look something like this:

> % You should then be able to login as root with no password at all.

> Problem is I don't understand one logs in as root without a
> password.

Did you follow the instructions? If so, you should subsequently
be able to boot your system, type 'root' at the Login: prompt and
being thrown into a shell without ever being asked for a password.

You can then use passwd(1) to set a new password for root.

Of course this is highly insecure if the machine connects to
a network automatically as it boots, so unplug any LAN connections
you have while doing this, and preferably boot it into single
user mode until you've created a new root password.

--
Henning Makholm
http://www.diku.dk/students/makholm