Re: Local network

servis@purdue.edu wrote:

> *- faoho@ringamt.dk wrote about "Local network"
> >
> > I've got 2 pc's at home.
> > 1 win95 and
> > 1 Linux / win95
> >
> > Working in win-environment on both pc's I have a windows-network with the
> > ability to share files. That is: - we share printer, modem and files on the
> > hard-drives.
> >
> > Can I set the win95-pc up to accessing the modem on the linux-pc?
> > Can I set the win95-pc up to accessing the printer on the linux-pc?
> > Can I access the harddrive and cd-rom on the win95-pc from my linux-pc?
> >

> > Henning
> >
> > faoho@ringamt.dk
> >

> This is my exact setup.  You will first want to make sure your
> network is working correctly between Linux and Win95.  See the
> Networking-Overview-HOWTO, NET-3-HOWTO and Ethernet-HOWTO.  For the
> first item you will want to compile the kernel with IP-Masquerading
> support, see IP-Masquerade mini-HOWTO.  For the second and third you
> want to install the Samba package.  The Samba team,
> http://www.samba.org/, just released v2.0 so you might want to look for
> it in the unstable tree of Debian the previous version is 1.9.18p10.
> Read all the docs in the /usr/doc/samba directory as well as
> SMB-HOWTO.  Have fun.
>
> --
> Brian

In red hat the masqerading is compiled into the kernel by default, this
may be the case with debian ,anyway its worth a go before you go the
trouble of a kernel recompile. Also dont forget that you will need to
set up the linux machine conected to the modem as the gateway machine.
You want it so that the modem is the defalt network so that ip's not
known to the system ie anything on the internet are sent via the modem.
Pete