setleds and num lock

Hi,  I have been working on this problem for a while.  I can't get my
number lock to default in the on position while in X.  This is what I
have done:

In the   /etc/init.d/rc  file I placed:
-----------------------
# I add the following for NumLock ON by default
     INITTY=/dev/tty[1-8]
     for tty in $INITTY; do
           setleds -D +num < $tty
     done
-----------------------
This activates my num lock on all terminals (tty1 through tty6) but not
my X terminal tty7.

I tried adding the line    setleds -D +num$  to
/home/kent/.bash_profile  like so:

-------------------------
#!/bin/bash
# ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash(1) for login shells.

umask 002

setleds -D +num$
----------------------------

crossyourfingers:/home/kent# ls -l /home/kent/.bash_profile
-rwxr--r--   1 kent     kent          113 Jan 16 14:34
/home/kent/.bash_profile

This creates the following error I don't understand, at the top of my
xterm windows, when I open them:

KDGETLED: Invalid argument
Error reading current led setting. Maybe stdin is not a VT?
~$

I have also changed the line to read   setleds -D +num   and recieved
the same error message.  I have also tried both lines in the
/etc/csh.login   file.  I get the same error message.

I am using xdm and afterstep if that makes any difference.  Once again I
need some help.
Thanks,
Kent