Re: Xi - Xserver

> On 16-Jan-99 Shao Zhang wrote:
> > Hi,
> >       Has anyone tried out the Xi graphics video server??
> >
> >       Is it really much better that XF86??
> >

> Depends on the card, monitor, etc.  However it does not interface nicely with
> the Debian X packages.  Personally I would suggest supporting Xfree.  Hell,
> send them the money you were going to give to Xi -- help fund some free
> development and not a business.

A few months ago I had just purchased the Matrox G200,
so I got the Xi graphics server.

Before, through xdm, I ran three simultaneous X servers:
one for my child, one for my wife, and one for me.

Facing troubles figuring how to use the Xi Graphics card with xdm,
I sent them email.
Response: xdm is compicated and they do not support xdm.

However, I did for a while enjoy Xi graphics slightly different look.
I believe they gave XFree its first video driver software,
so Xi Graphics gets my ear.
I decided to do what would give me the most flexibility,
have the most support, and what I could share with others:
my Xi graphics expenditure became a sunk cost and
I returned to XFree.

--
Jim Burt, NJ9L,		Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@mnsinc.com	http://www.mnsinc.com/jameson

"A poor man associating with a rich man will soon be too poor
to buy even a pair of breeches."                   --Chinese Proverb