Re: Program to chart ppp through-put?

Ed Cogburn writes:
> I remember also when some folks were talking about this earlier, that
> there was a way to get pppd to output the speed to a file that could then
> be parsed, but I can't remember it very well.  'man pppd' might help.

I don't know any way to get pppd to do that, but you can get chat to write
the connection speed to a file.  Giving chat the option '-r <filename>'
and putting 'REPORT CONNECT' at the top of your chatscript tells chat to
write any strings it receives that contain 'CONNECT' to <filename>.
Initialize your modem with 'ATW2' and it will send 'CONNECT <speed>' when
it connects.  Then just look in <filename>.

Example '/etc/ppp/peers/provider' file:

noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -r /etc/ppp/report -f /etc/chatscripts/provider"
defaultroute
crtscts
lock
modem