xf86 config error

Is it possible to get more details about the follwing:

[12:15am] root@hamishpc:~# /etc/init.d/xdm start
Checking for valid XFree86 server configuration...error in configuration file.
Not starting X display manager.
[12:15am] root@hamishpc:~#

I grabbed a compiled XF86_FBDev off a website. It was XFree86 3.3.2,
but it ran fine, with both startx and "X -query localhost".

I downloaded the 3.3.3.1 binary from xfree86.org,
plonked it in, and it won't start:

XFree86 Version 3.3.3.1 / X Window System
Release Date: December 29 1998
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
        than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
        problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Linux 2.0.36 i586 [ELF]
Configured drivers:
   FBDev: Server for frame buffer device
   (Patchlevel 10): mfb, cfb8, cfb16, cfb24, cfb32
(using VT number 7)

[...]
(**) FBDev: Using default frame buffer video mode

Fatal server error:
fbdevScreenInit: unable to set screen params (Invalid argument)

Are these related? It would appear not.

(A lesson to be learnt here; don't buy video cards with very recent
chipsets, especially when they're not very good anyway. It's an AGP
Trio3D based cheapo, and the only way to get it running presently
is using the Linux framebuffer console device in kernel 2.2, and
the XF86_FBDev server, which gives unaccelerated graphics and weird
text consoles like I'm typing on now. But it's better than no
X at all, just. If it weren't for the extra colours I can get
on that other platform, I'd put my 2mb Trio64V+ back in. I may do that
yet.)

Hamish