Re: Kernel Compile

Bob Nielsen Writes..

> 2.0.36 should compile without problems on a hamm system.

Well it doesn't here.

I have spent years compiling kernels, and never really had a problem before,
until now. I posted the Errors here, but no-one suggested what may be wrong.

> I don't have a clue as to why you are having problems compiling the
> kernel, but as to other software, if the source code is compatible with
> libc6, you should have no problems. If it is libc5, then you will probably
> have to edit the Makefile to use libc5-altdev, etc. (in oldlibs) instead
> of the default libc6-dev.  I believe this is covered in one of the FAQs.

It is fast looking that code which fails is that which needs kernel headers
installed. Code which does not is that which *IS* compiling OK.

> If you upgraded using autoup.sh or the bo version of apt-get, you should
> have gotten the upgraded libc5 stuff.

I installed the APT package which was on the Debian 2.0 CD, in the upgrade
directory. I then ran it to upgrade.

> The fact the even the kernel won't compile would indicate that something
> broke in your upgrade process, but this is quite untypical (I've never had
> it happen to me, at least, in many 1.2-1.3, 1.3-2.0 and 2.0-2.1
> upgrades).

I upgraded TWO 1.3.1 boxes here, and both have the same problem. So if it
broke, then it broke twice. odd !

Does anyone that understands compile errors know what mine suggest. I have
posted them twice here now this last week, but no-one has responded with
and explanation.

If I get such, I might just suss why things are broken.

Cheers

--
Nidge Jones