Re: Help needed piping output to a bash script

On 12 Jan 99 at 16:56, E.L. Meijer \(Eric\) <tgakem@sg10.chem.tue.nl> wrote:

> ...The problem is that the script gets its
> standard input from the pipe, and vi needs input from a tty.  Your
> current tty is /dev/tty.  This works:
>
> #! /bin/bash
> # mymore
>
> $TMPFILE=/tmp/mymore.$$.tmp
>
> while read line; do
> echo $line >> $TMPFILE
> done
>
> vi $TMPFILE < /dev/tty
> rm -f $TMPFILE

It works.  The $TMPFILE variable is another improvement.  Thanks!

BTW:  It turns out that the base distrib of Hamm uses a cruder 'vi' clone with
fewer error messages than regular Hamm.  When I tried piping to a fancier 'vi'
later on, after reading your post, it actually had an informative error message
about the /dev/tty input.