how to install sendmail or exim on my debian box ?

hi there,

i am a beginner on debian linux ... i have installed a debian box in my
office and it is connected to my LAN, i have installed telnetd on my linux
and it is running fine.  now i wanna install sendmail/exim on my debian to
let it be my mail server ,,, i have downloaded this software from
ftp.us.debian.org.  my question is, how do i install this software, and what
r the steps should i take or plan in order to get this mail server done.

thanks.

brandon