Re: New installation - Xserver failure

faoho@ringamt.dk wrote:

> I've installed the Debian 2.0.10 from a CD using Dselect.
> The configuration had a few failures - among them a missing file: initrc,
> so the windowmaker couldn't be configured.
> After the installation I used XF86Setup to adjust videocard and
> monitorsettings. OK.
> Starting the windowmaker afterwards (startx) gives no result.
> The Xserver can's start.
> It's looking for a file, that doesn't exist: /usr/bin/X11/XF86_NONE
> It shouldn't look for that file - but for the XF86SVGA, I guess.
>
> I guess there is a configurationsfile somewhere, in which I have to change
> the XF86_NONE to XF86SVGA.
>
> What file is that???

	XF86_NONE indicates that an Xserver package has not been
installed yet.  When you install an Xserver .deb package it will
change XF86_NONE to the actual Xserver selected.  So get the
xserver package that is appropiate for your hardware (i.e.,
XF86_SVGA).  I would give you the exact names of the deb packages,
but I've switched to 2.1 (slink) and the X11 package names have
changed between 2.0 and 2.1.
	If, for some reason, you have installed an Xserver package, but
this problem persists, then goto the 'Xserver' file in /etc/X11/
and change the first line of this text file to indicate the server
you have installed.

--
Ed C.