Re: plog

On Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 11:00:24AM -0500, Jim Foltz wrote:
> > You have to run plog as root. The reason that ppp.log isn't world
> > readable is that your ppp password is more than likely in the log file.
>
> Under what conditins does the password show up? I just grep'd my
> /var/log/ppp.log for my password, andi t wasn't there. Is it because
> I use CHAP that it doesn't show up?

Not sure since I use pap, but my log shows all the transactions between
the client and server, including the plain text password as gotten from
/etc/ppp/peers/* (which is 600 root.root by default).

Very simple solution is be careful who you add to groups other than
'staff' and 'users'. Those groups are usually there for administration
reasons. If you need a new group for access control of users, don't use
one of the ones already there, make a new one.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org