Thanks for X help and Smail help

Thanks for the help with X: changing the permissions of /dev/null worked.
I hadn't had other problems with this, 'cos I'm wasn't using normal user
operation very much.

I've also been trying to get my mail through fetchmail + smail from a pop3
server.  I type :

	smail -bd

	fetchmail -v -p POP3 -k -u username serviceprovider

and then enter my password: thydjgf2 (just kidding)

If I have no messages, everything is hunky-dory: fetchmail has a chat with
the POP3 server, and exits cleanly.

However, if I have a message, SMTP comes into play, and it all goes
horribly wrong:

fetchmail: POP3< +OK 2210 octets
reading message 1 of 1 (2210 bytes)
fetchmail: SMTP< 220-rmwh2.Trinity2 Smail-3.2.0.101 (#2 1998-Jul-16) ready
at Fr
i, 15 Jan 1999 15:32:34 +0000 (GMT)
fetchmail: SMTP< 220 ESMTP supported
fetchmail: SMTP> EHLO rmwh2.Trinity2
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-rmwh2.Trinity2 Hello rmwh2.Trinity2 (rmwh2.Trinity2
from ad
dress [131.111.193.202]), here's what we support:
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-EXPN
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-SIZE 102400
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-8BITMIME
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-PIPELINING
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 HELP
fetchmail: forwarding to rmwh2.Trinity2
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<debian-user@lists.debian.org> SIZE=2210
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 debian-user@lists.debian.org ... Sender Okay
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<rich@rmwh2.Trinity2>
fetchmail: SMTP< 550 '<rich@rmwh2.Trinity2>' <rich@(nodomain)> not
matched: (ERR
_100) unknown user.
fetchmail: SMTP listener doesn't like recipient address
`rich@rmwh2.Trinity2'
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<rich@rmwh2.Trinity2>
fetchmail: SMTP< 550 '<rich@rmwh2.Trinity2>' <rich@(nodomain)> not
matched: (ERR
_100) unknown user.
fetchmail: can't even send to calling user!
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT